Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I love you all.




An email from an old professor at Tech:

Dear ACIS 3314 Students,

My family's worst fears were confirmed a few hours ago. My daughter, Austin Michelle Cloyd, was one of the victims in Norris Hall. She would have been 19 years old next Tuesday. My family hurts deeply for the loss of our precious baby. We ask that you pray for us and for the rest of the Virginia Tech community that has suffered so greatly. At this point I don't know how or where our class will continue. The guest speakers scheduled for April 25 and April 30 may carry on, but in a different location. Expect to receive an email from Professor Brown or an announcement on Blackboard about this.

If we don't meet again, your final assignment from me is perhaps the most important lesson you will learn in life. Go to your mother, father, brothers and sisters and tell them with all your heart how much you love them. And tell them that you know how much they love you too. Go out of your way to make good memories. At some point, these memories may be all you have left.

May God bless you all,

Bryan

4 comments:

Joshua said...

I'm sure no one knows what to say, and the this cuts deeper for you and Kevin then the rest of us can even fathom.
It's incomprehensible. It's a feeling of odd unease, even for me, so many miles away.

If I can do absolutely anything, let me know.

alison said...

And Raqib and Brandon too.

alexis said...

Makes me think about this generation of students that were in high school during Columbine, and have gotten used to seeing metal detectors in places that should be safe havens... Don't know why this kind of thing happens so readily nowadays as opposed to the people just a few years older in my/our age group. There's just too much substance or connection - something - missing from their lives.
My prayers are out to everyone with a connection to Tech.

Johanna Beyenbach said...

Reading this and thinking about what they must be going through is more than I can stretch my mind to imagine. I teared up.

Mark Lewis wrote on his blog that America has a short memory for violence, and I definitely agree. What is going to have to happen for gun laws to shape up around here? ugh. Has anybody seen the cover of the NYTimes today? It made me feel sick.